Over the past fifty years, the Park System has grown by leaps and bounds. Here's a look back at how some things have changed (and some haven't) over the years. No matter how clothing styles and playground equipment change, the Park System will always be a place where families have fun, memories are made and the beauty of nature endures. Click on each image to make larger.
Barns at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel in 1967 (left) and in 2009 (right)
Turkey Swamp Park lakefront in 1974 (left) and in 2007 (right)
Shark River Park Playground in 1969 (left) and in 2009 (right)
Holmdel Park Shelter Building, Holmdel during construction in 1973 (left) and in 2009 (right)
Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park, Long Branch in 1979 (left) and in 2008 (right)
Historic Walnford, Upper Freehold in 1981 (left) and in 2008 (right)
Playground in Holmdel Park, Holmdel in 1968 (left) and in 2009 (right)
The Creative Arts Center in Thompson Park in 1993, as it looked as a dairy barn on Marlu Farm, (left) and today (right) after extensive renovations.
Construction of the Hominy HIll Golf Course Clubhouse in the 1940's (left) and today (right)
The Huber family home in 1950 (left) and today as the Huber Woods Environmental Center (right)
The area that was to become the Manasquan Reservoir in 1989 (left) and today (right)
Highlands Army Air Defense personnel 1940 in front of Battery Lewis (left) and Battery Lewis today
at Hartshorne Woods Park (right)
The tennis courts at Holmdel Park were once the site of Nike Missile Battery 54 as part of the Cold War defense for New York harbor (left). Today, this same area is now the location for the Holmdel Park tennis courts.