Winter visits to the parks require careful preparation to guard against frostbite and hypothermia. Please review the information on frostbite and hypothermia before your visit.
As of Thursday, February 17:
- The Holmdel Park Sled Hill is closed.
- The Thompson Park Ski Hut is closed.
- Conditions are unsafe for ice skating and ice fishing at all park locations.
Please check back for updates. These conditions remain current until otherwise posted here.
When there is snow on the ground and conditions are safe, Holmdel Park,
Longstreet Rd., Holmdel, is the place to go for sledding. Call Holmdel Park at 732-946-9562 for current
When the conditions are right and the ice is at least five inches thick, start looking for the "Skating Today" signs at Holmdel, Shark River and Turkey Swamp Parks. It normally takes at a week to 10 days of subfreezing temperatures to produce safe skating conditions.
Cross-Country Ski & Snowshoe Equipment Rentals
Cross-Country Ski & Snowshoe Rentals
Thompson Park Ski Hut, Lincroft
December 15- March 15 (Closed December 24 & 25.)
9 a.m.- 5 p.m., conditions permitting*
* Conditions change rapidly. Please check back for updated conditions and hours of operations prior to heading to the park.
Equipment must be returned by 5 p.m.
Cross-country ski and snowshoe equipment is available for rent at the Ski Hut, conditions permitting. Skis and/or snowshoes are available on a
first come, first served basis. We now offer ski equipment for children for ages 2 and up.
The Ski Hut is located adjacent to the Three Barns Parking Lot, near the off-leash dog area.
Our procedures are as follows:
- Upon arrival, check in with staff in the Ski Hut.
- Once you receive your rental equipment, you may proceed to the Theater Barn to prepare for your adventure.
- Capacity in the Ski Hut and Theater Barn is restricted. Face coverings are recommended inside buildings and social distancing must be observed in all areas.
Daily Rental Pricing:
For more information regarding equipment rentals, call 732-842-4000, ext. 4312.
Cross-country ski trails are groomed at Thompson Park when there is enough snow and conditions are favorable. (Six inches or more of snow.) Here's the Cross Country Ski Trail Map for Thompson Park.
Marked, ungroomed trails are available for both cross-country skiing and snowshoeing at:
Drop a line at the Manasquan Reservoir, Thompson Park, and Turkey Swamp Park. See a park ranger for the designated ice fishing area and times in each park. Those ice fishing should be prepared to cut their own hole.
Please note that the Park System's Deer Management Program will be underway at several of these sites. For complete details on locations and dates, please click here